SIGCSE 2012 - Impacts due to Mrs. Obama’s visit
Impact for the First Lady’s visit will begin Thursday evening and should be done by mid-afternoon Friday.
TO GET TO THE CONVENTION CENTER FROM THE MARRIOTT OR SHERATON, WALK TO CABARRUS STREET AND USE THE CABARRUS STREET ENTRANCE OF THE RCC. THE MAIN LOBBY ENTRANCE TO THE RCC, AS WELL AS THE UNDERGROUND CONNECTOR FROM THE MARRIOTT, WILL BE CLOSED ON FRIDAY.
ENTRANCES closed on Friday include:
- The Salisbury Street entrance to the convention center (SIGCSE attendees should enter from Cabarrus Street).
- The entire underground "connector space" that leads from the Marriott to the RCC.
- The Marriott turnaround and access to the Greater Raleigh Visitor Information Center.
PARKING under the Marriott will be closed after a security sweep on Thursday.
- Officially the parking closure begins THURSDAY evening.
- This affects the main parking garage entrance that is located at the corner of Lenoir and Fayetteville. Alternate entrance to the available portion of the deck is from Wilmington Street. Continue on Lenoir Street past the closed entrance one block to Wilmington. Turn left onto Wilmington and the entrance is approximately 1/2 a block ahead on the left. An alternate route would be to use South Street that runs parallel to Lenoir.
STREET CLOSURES will begin quite early on Friday morning.
- Lenoir Street beside the Marriott and Raleigh Convention Center will be closed to all traffic during this time, as well as Salisbury Street that runs between Cabarrus and Lenoir.
- The R-Line stops will be affected. Ask your driver for assistance. Alternative stops will be available.
Thanks for your patience! We will provide additional updates as they are available.